Old September 11th 05, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Inevitable Cycle Fiasco

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 12:46:33 +0100, Clive
wrote:

I read your point, and I don't buy into it.

snip

I do agree though that
all cyclists should have licences which when taken away would prohibit
further use until the ban expired. Making a level playing field.

I think you just did buy into it

The point was that it is useless having points on a *driving* licence
for *cycling* offences unless there is also a cycling licence which
can also be withdrawn. As such, if someone never intended to drive,
points on a theoretical driving licence would be of no effect, unless
said licence also applied to cycling.

I would, however, contend that it would be immensely difficult to
enforce a requirement for a cycling licence without the increase in
police which I have also suggested as necessary as a first step.

Mind you, I might not be in a conventional city, which tends to sway
my view on such things, but I'm also not convinced that poor cycling
is as big a problem as some people think it is - or at least not as
big a problem as poor driving is. I am in favour of enforcing the
rules of the road on cyclists as well as road users, but I think there
are practicality issues involved.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain