Old September 11th 05, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Inevitable Cycle Fiasco

congokid wrote:
In message ,
Martin Underwood writes

It's fairly rare to
see cars etc go through red lights (I've probably seen under ten
in the 25 years I've been driving)

That's amazing. I see about 10 motor vehicles going through red
lights every morning on my five mile cycle to work.

The difference is that motor vehicles who go through red lights
generally do so in the first second or two of the red phase, when the
risk of collision is lower because phasing has become more
conservative* (not that I'm trying to condone the practice).

Many of the cyclists who go through red lights seem to do so at any time
in the red phase whatever the collision risk.

* 40-odd years ago I was living in Cambridge near the junction of
Parkside and Clarendon Street, where the buildings came right up to the
footway producing a blind corner, and there were regular accidents
because the lights had coincident ambers, i.e. one direction got
red-and-amber when the other direction got amber. They changed the
phasing to "sequent ambers", but I dare say there's an all-red phase now
(do you know, Colin R?).
--
Richard J.