Old September 13th 05, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] alexterrell@yahoo.com is offline

Default Inevitable Cycle Fiasco

Neil Williams wrote:
On 13 Sep 2005 05:58:45 -0700, wrote:

Not necessarily. If the pavement is raised above the cycle path, and
the cycle path is seperated from the road by a kerb, then all should be
happy.

Until car passengers throw glass bottles out of the window, and you've
got a nice glass trap that's too narrow to use a road sweeper on, so
the glass remains and the cycle path is useless.

Hmm - hadn't thought of that one. In Southern Germany people don't
throw bottles out of car windows.

Though I would have a raised curb of just a few centimeters - ideally
just below straight line pedal height. That's still enough to deter
cars, but a street sweeper could straddle it.

Not to mention that
pedestrians in many places still don't respect them.

Chicken and egg? If there were enough cyclists, pedestrians would
respect them.

Unless the road is wide enough for a cycle path of at least a normal
lane's width (which most of Milton Keynes' Redways are), there isn't
room for one and the road is a better place for the cyclist. If the
road was a foot or two wider, overtaking by cars would be easier and
less dangerous.

Sorry - can't agree there. I'd be happy to have a dedicated, 1m wide
cylce path each way. Putting one of these on both sides would require
removing one lane of parked cars, or in some places reducing the car
lane width to 3m.

Unless your talking sports cyclists at high speed!