Old September 14th 05, 10:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] Mait001@aol.com is offline

Default Routemaster heritage route contracts awarded

"cover considerably more roads than ever in the past": how very true of
Bendybuses!

Well, I need no rose-tinted spectacles to remind me of how appalling
the buses in my area once were (28, 295 and 91 until it was abolished)
and waits of up to an hour on a 3-route section between Fulham Broadway
and Wandsworth Bridge were not unknown!

Sadly, waits of up to half an hour are still fairly common on what is
still a 3-route stretch (28, 295 and C4 or whatever than "invisible
route is now numbered); curtailments at Fulham Broadway or Wandsworth
Bridge are still commonplace, as is re-routing at the Clapham Junction
end of the 295, leaving passengers at the South end of Plough Lane
without a bus at all.

I was not making a point about bus services in general, merely at the
state of mind of T.F.L.'s upper echelons who despise the one form of
transport that has been tried and tested in London for about a Century
(crewed open-platfom double-deck motor buses) and choose to replace it
with expensive, inefficient, noisy, heat-emitting, road-occupying,
unmaneouvreable, clumsy, seat-scarce foreign-built monsters, whose
drivers appear only barely able to handle them As an example of the
latter point alone: have you ever been on a 521 Bendybus as it
terminates at Waterloo Road, where it mounts the kerb as it turns left
and anyone not holding on tightly or within striking distance of a
bulkhead or railing will have the bruises to prove the fact?.

Yes, anyone inflicting this horror on London's passengers is a moron.

Marc.