Old September 16th 05, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
fatherivy fatherivy is offline

Default OysterCard PrePay Auto Top-up

Ian Jelf wrote:
In message . com,
Mizter T writes

- And - and this'll surely rile some people here - auto top-up can't be
picked up from a Tube ticket machine, you'll have to actually touch-in
to travel the Tube/DLR in order for it to work.

It was looking ideal for me up to there....... :-)

[snip]
However, because I used buses much more than tubes, it would be *much*
better for me to have been able to go to a tube ticket machine for this.
But I can't!

I have a similar but different problem - I've registered for auto
top-up, got the extra £10 bonus credit, and now I've got get to a tube
ticket barrier to claim it within 8 days (or it gets refunded).

Does this mean that in order to "receive my auto top-up instruction"
I've got to pay for a journey? I generally travel into a mainline
station by train, and only use the tube occasionally - it's easy enough
to walk up to the barrier, but I probably won't want to go anywhere!

Has anyone tried this yet? Does the barrier require two swipes of your
card - i.e. one to load the credit and another to start the journey?

I'm guessing that when I've claimed my auto-pay instruction, the next
thing I have to do is go to the window and get the staff to cancel the
journey I didn't want to start?

(The beauty of pre-pay Oyster for me is that I can pre-load the card and
then when I do make the odd tube journey, I don't have to queue for a
ticket - once set up auto top-up will make that even easier - but I
probably won't use the tube in the next 8 days).