Old September 21st 05, 04:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
James Farrar James Farrar is offline

Default Oyster card online store, from US- no joy

On 20 Sep 2005 11:57:44 -0700, wrote:

That's their excuse. They'll take a US card if I'm actually there in
front of their machine, which seems to me to be very nearly as
susceptible to fraud.

There's a difference between 'cardholder not present' transactions and
those where you insert the card. Admittedly, the fact that you don't
currently need to sign or enter a PIN does make a bit of a nonsense of
it.

Hopefully it will soon be changed so you will have to enter a PIN, but
this will of course introduce new problems if you don't have one.

PINs appear to have problems internationally. I've just got back from
two weeks in California, during which time I signed for all in-store
transactions, and if a machine (except an ATM) asked me for a PIN, it
rejected it (thanks, BART, amongst others).
--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com