Old September 26th 05, 03:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Peter Masson Peter Masson is offline

Default A different ELLX question

"R.C. Payne" wrote in message
Pete Bentley wrote:
R.C. Payne wrote:

NB Liverpool St station, I believe, is not actually in the City, it
stands just outside the edge, unlike the above named stations, that are
within the City of London.

Actually, it's just inside:-
http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corpo...undary_map.htm

Interesting, my understanding was that it was outside of it (from the
whole era of no (north of the river) railways may enter the city days,
am I plain wrong, or was the boundary re-drawn to include it?

The 1846 Royal Commission recommended that no railway should enter the
central area as defined in their terms of reference (encompassing much of
the West End as well as most, but not all, of the City, though it allowed
some of the southern lines to come into the protected area.. Fenchurch
Street was already in the City. The 1863 House of Lords Committee on
Metropolitan Railway Communication considered that the GER should be allowed
to come closer than its existing Bishopsgate terminus, resulting in the
construction of Liverpool Street. Also in the late 1850s/early 1860s
Parliament approved construction of Victoria, Charing Cross, Cannon Street,
Broad Street, and the Blackfriars - Farringdon link. The Joint Committee on
Railway Schemes (Metropolis) of 1864 endorsed the Inner Circle proposal.

Peter