Old September 27th 05, 08:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Bus diversion due to closure of Battersea Bridge

On 26 Sep 2005 16:38:02 -0700, "
wrote:

My experience is that so often buses ON ROUTE fail to stop at
compulsory stops, which again, jobsworths take note, they are SUPPOSED
to do, even if no passenger is at the stop or nobody has rung the bell.

Wouldn't it make sense to remove these, except at bus stations and the
likes? Nowhere else in the country has them, and IMX[1] people ring
the bell and/or put their hand out anyway.

The alternative would of course be to go for the German approach of
"stop if someone is at the stop unless they indicate otherwise". This
has the advantage that you don't get buses overtaking buses which
results in people missing them.

[1] For some reason, that I'm yet to work out, people often don't
signal the bus to stop in Milton Keynes; they just stand in a "I look
like I'm waiting for the bus" place, even on hail-and-ride routes. To
their great credit, the drivers are pretty good at working this out,
which is probably why it continues - but I wonder where this idea
comes from?

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain