Old September 1st 03, 10:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Matthew Malthouse Matthew Malthouse is offline

Default Eurostar

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 10:29:19 +0100 David Horne wrote:
} Roland Perry wrote:
}
} Not yet, although there are attempts in the pipeline to make people
} think it would be acceptable. We remember the War, and "papers please"
} and don't want to go back to that.
}
} That's an increasingly small part of the population. For myself, I'd
} welcome one, both for domestic and EU travel. I don't have a driving
} license, and having to carry the passport around for UK air travel is
} annoying- a credit card sized ID card in the wallet would be better- all
} the better for EU travel too. Providing it wasn't obligatory to carry it
} around, or to actually _have_ one (just like you do't have to have a
} passport)- I don't think most sane people would be bothered.

Even when such things are "not obligatory" there might well be a creep
of things you "need" it for that effectively make it so.

In France one isn't obliged to carry ID but so many things get akward -
especially with the police and driving matters - if you don't that most
will habitually carry their identity card wherever they go.

Matthew
--
Záhid sharáb píné dé, masjid mein baith kar
ya woh jagah batá dé jahán Khudá na ho.