Old October 2nd 05, 11:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] j.morris@jmcomms.com is offline

Default Whose daft idea was it to close Oxford Street today?

Laurence Payne wrote:
But if everyone would choose public transport where it IS viable, we
could all move much more freely.

And here lies the problem. PT can't cope with the extra people, which
is why it has been suggested that they introduce a charge on those
using trains in peak hours!

The problem is we don't want to keep building in and around London and
trying to get more people in to the capital each day. Move jobs outside
London (is it still necessary to have an office in WC1 to look good?).

We might be a tiny island, but there is still land outside the South
East to use. We are massively over populated around here, and the
building is nowhere near slowing down.

The roads may end up empty if by 2010 we're paying £50 a day, but we
aren't building lots of new railway lines, or running services 24/7 (if
you live outside the M25, try getting a bus at 4am - or even 9pm on a
weekend) then the car will ALWAYS be necessary.