Old October 3rd 05, 12:25 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
JNugent JNugent is offline

Default London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

"Richard J." wrote...

JNugent wrote:
"Colum Mylod" wrote:

The smart way to reduce congestion (not that this expansion has
it, 5% of the area at most has congestion) is to close off zones
and reduce flow. Classic example Hammersmith bridge. Close
it and traffic "evaporates".

Er... not quite.
I remember a miserable afternoon spent trying to get from Barnes to
Hanwell. It should have been a doddle using Hammersmith Bridge, but
it was then closed for repairs (is it still closed, or closed
again?).

It's open, and has been IIRC for at least 4 years.

Good - though I'm sure I recall a proposal that it should be closed again -
and a campaign by Castelnau residents that it should not be reopened after
those extenive repairs.

Using Chiswick Bridge (the westerly nexus of the North and
South Circular Roads) ...

Those two roads actually meet at Chiswick Roundabout, and the South
Circular Road crosses the river via Kew Bridge. Chiswick Bridge carries
the A316, the link to the M3.

Quite right - it was Kew Bridge I meant.