Old October 4th 05, 06:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default New Fares

On 4 Oct 2005 11:01:19 -0700, "Richard Adamfi"
wrote:

So what is the way to do it? Abolish cash fares straight away? I now
consider cash fares to be effectively abolished now anyway as I see no
reason to pay in cash when it costs more.

Cheaper fares on Oyster, not artificially and ridiculously
over-expensive ones on paper.

Also, look at improving access to Oyster. How about an issuing
machine eating, say, gbp10 notes (and credit cards) and issuing
non-registered pre-pay Oyster cards to tourists with a fiver deposit
(with return machines also provided to return the deposit) and a fiver
of credit?

Finally, flatten and simplify the Oyster fares structure. The paper
fares structure does not fit it well and introduces unnecessary
complexity.

And gbp3 is an absolute insult. Off-peak, you can get a ticket for
unlimited train travel throughout Greater Manchester for less than
that, for example. gbp2 is too much for a Zone 1 single, IMO.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain