Old September 1st 03, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,cam.misc,uk.transport
JNugent JNugent is offline

Default BBC's UK's Worst

Roland Perry wrote...

Andrew writes:

Do you know, I always wondered where the name of Staples Corner came

from, I
felt it couldn't be after the office equipment/stationery company, in

spite
of their presence.

No - Staples was a company making mattresses (and perhaps other bed
components), wasn't it? If the Staples office-equipment chain now has a
store there, I'm sure that's just a spooky coincidence.

As for the mattress factory, that is exactly what the junction *was* named
after. Many well-known London road-junctions were similarly named after
business premises located there. Two other obvious examples are "Henly's
Corner" (a mile or so east along the NCR from Staple's Corner, named after
the car-dealers) and "Gardner's Corner" (the junction of Whitechapel Road
and Commercial Road, named after the long-demolished department store which
previously stood on the triangular site).

I'm not sure when the furniture store closed. Guessing wildly, perhaps
15 years ago? I'd be interested to know if anyone remembers which corner
of the junction had the Staples store, and did it close before or after
the E/W North Circular flyover was built.

I'm pretty sure the Staples mattress factory building was on the south-west
side of the junction of A406/A5, that is on the left when proceeding north
along the A5 or when proceeding west along the NCR. I don't know when it
closed. It's so long since I passed that particular spot that I'm sure it
was still standing when I was last there.