Old October 8th 05, 10:17 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] scotboy1994@hotmail.co.uk is offline

Default North Woolwich branch to close

Paul Corfield wrote:

The platforms will be at the same level as they are now - i.e. beside
the Central Line / National Rail lines. The deck is simply being
extended southwards over the w/b central line tunnel to allow the
construction of the extra platform track.

Interesting - the detailed layout plans on the DLR site show it a bit
differently. The DLR track will be realigned to around 20 metres south
of their current location, as double track, from a point around 150
metres west of the end of the current platform at Stratford.

The space above the current Central line WB tunnel entrance is not
touched in this plan, and the current DLR platform 4 and approach track
will be abandoned. There will be a completely new island platform south
of the Central line WB, not affecting the Central line's airspace.

There will then be a footbridge from where the current DLR ticket
machines are, up a staircase, over the Central line, then down two
ramps to the new DLR platforms level.

It would be impossible to lower the DLR Stratford Line to such an extent
to bring it in at JLE / NLL level. It would collide with the Central Line tunnel for one thing!

I think I understand the levels now! It looks like access to the new
DLR island platform will be from the west wall upper level of the main
concourse - the footbridge over the NLL - where there is currently a
lot of empty space.

Collision with the Central line tunnel is avoided because of the track
realignment and the new island platform being south of the current
location. At least that's what the drawing shows, so we shall see!

I think you're right that the level will still be higher than the
Jubilee/NLL, but detached from the existing High Level station.
Stratford gets more complicated!

Anyway, here's the link to the plan (rather large PDF):
http://developments.dlr.co.uk/enhanc...ayout_plan.PDF

Regards