Old October 8th 05, 01:06 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default London Congestion charge spreads westward in 2007

Steve Firth wrote:

chris harrison wrote:

Commuting is a lifestyle choice

My arse it is.

I made a decision to buy a house one mile from my place of work so that
I could walk to work, and I did so for two years. Then my employer moved
I wanted to make the same decisiout the location of my employers
premises meant there was no housing within three miles. So I moved as
close as I could and bought a bicycle. Then they were taken over and
closed down with "key" staff being relocated 18 miles away, fortunately
close to a railway station, housing in that area was either on a council
"sink" estate or outside a six mile radius. Since I could not get on the
council waiting list for a flat near to work and it would have been
insanity to sell a house, make myself intentionally homeless, then
attempt to make a home in a location most famous for its crack cocaine
addicts, I had to commute.

Nowadays my commuting is of the order of hundreds to thousands of miles
a week, because the location of the job moves around the country every
month or so.

I've never made "a lifestyle choice" to commute.

What a sad existence to lead; having your life controlled by so many others.
For once I feel genuinely sorry for you.

John B