Old October 8th 05, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

Default New Fares

People not from London can stop complaining too. Londoners deserve
cheaper fares, in fact we pay in part for the costs of the Underground
through our council tax so I'm perfectly happy to no longer subsidise
tourists and visitors who, for whatever reason, do not adopt Oyster.

OK. Would you like to pay higher fares on other cities' public
transport systems, such as the heavily-subsidised systems in German
cities, or indeed Merseyrail in Liverpool, which is the second
highest-subsidised per passenger mile national rail franchise in the
country, and I wouldn't be surprised if higher than LUL?

No, I didn't think so. Public transport is for the public, not just
for local people, though the actions of some provincial bus companies
(or more the inactions) may make you think otherwise.

In every case I can think of using foreign metro systems I have just bought

whatever ticket looked like the cheapest and the quickest to acquire and

haven't really researched all that much in to how the system works and

what is really the best option, as I would at home. I have no doubt I have

paid over the odds in many places. However I don't really care. The reason

for this is that when travelling on business my employer pays and not me

and when on holiday I just want to get from A to B with the least fuss.

I'm sure most infrequent tourists and visitors are much the same.