Old September 2nd 03, 05:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default Old LT Garages

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

In article ,
(Paul Terry) wrote:

It seems extraordinary to think that the entire Hammersmith one-way
system must have been rewired for a very complex overhead trolley
system with numerous junctions, only to have the whole lot torn down a
few months later when trolleybus operations ceased.

It was more than a few months. I think Butterwick was either already there
when I started school in Hammersmith Road in 1957 or was built shortly
afterwards. I don't think it was as late as 1959/60. They did make some
overhead alterations in Butterwick before abandonment but I can't now
remember the details.

Yes, trolleybuses first started using Butterwick on 13 July 1958 (I have
at last managed to lay my hands on some decent reference material).

However, according to Taylor's London Trolleybus Routes, "Between 1958
and 1960 the routes underwent continual wiring alterations at
Hammersmith due to the construction of Hammersmith flyover". The latter
was still being built in 1960, of course, and photos from that year show
that much of the south side of the one-way system was far from complete,
even though open for traffic.

--
Paul Terry