Old October 13th 05, 09:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Northern Line suspended

In article ,
(Bob Rodden) wrote:

It's not a piece of string, it's quite a substantial piece of rope,
which adds to the resetting difficulty. The trains were originally
part of a super line upgrade so the tripcock reset cord was installed
as a temporary measure until ATP/ATO was introduced.

The cord itself goes through several tight bends from the loop that the
driver pulls in the offside cabinet down to the trip itself. The bends
and cord thickness have been a problem since we first tested train set
1 on the test track at Washwood Heath.

That would explain the old-fashioned trip cock technology but not the
complexity of the rope arrangement. Ropes have been routed outside in
the past in modification programmes.

Whilst conducting the conversion training for the drivers we used to
tell them to stick their J Door Key through the loop to get better
leverage and failing that, get out of the cab and attempt a reset
pulling where the cord is visible (about 6 inches from the trip).

But why is the contemporary 96TS not subject to the same problems? It's
actually older as the 95TS came into service after the 96.

--
Colin Rosenstiel