Old October 13th 05, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Northern line trip failures = lots of SPADs

Boltar wrote:
Something no one in the media or on here seems to have mentioned is
that the only reason the drivers are noticing so many tripcock
failures is that so many of these overpaid agitators are going
through red lights!

Perhaps the reason it hasn't been noticed is that your assumption is
false. The fault is said to occur when trains are driven through a red
light very slowly, as happens for example in the case of a track circuit
or signal failure where a driver is given permission to do so. The
procedure is to go forwards slowly, get tripped, reset the tripcock and
proceed at slow speed to the next signal or for 3 minutes, or something
(I forget the details). It's been found that in these circumstances,
the tripcock can reset itself without stopping the train.

If you have up-to-date info on the number of SPADs on LU, please quote
numbers and source.
--
Richard J.