Old September 2nd 03, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default Old LT Garages

IanB wrote:
"Nick Hewitt" wrote in message
Hi people. This is a bit long, so please bear with me. I am trying to
track down a number of past & present ex-LT bus garages. They are :-

1) The original Kingston garage in Richmond Road. Where on Richmond
Road was it?

I remember a bus garage by the railway station in what I think is called
Wood Street. It was there when we went in hunt of some of the last RFs in (LT)
service which would make it mid 70s. The entrance faced the railway line and
the exit faced west so buses leaving would go past the entrance! there was
some additional parking (bus) in a yard between Wood Str & the railway and the
garage entrance I am thinking of had some sort of restriction on it, ban on DMS
class or similar (either too wide or high) which would explain why it was
disposed of

There may possibly have been an earlier garage, but in the 60s and 70s
Kingston Garage had a wide exit on Clarence St and a narrow entrance on
what seems to be Cromwell Road. Unusually, passengers could board buses
within the bus garage. There was also a bus terminus in front (south) of
the station, mainly for green buses, and I think some sort of overflow
bus park by the railway east of the station - where the present bus
station is.

What you've forgotten is that in those days Clarence St was one way
southbound, and Wood Street one way eastbound. Buses reached the garage
from the west or north and departed south. Clarence St was very busy
even then, and I've got film somewhere of an RF taking a very long time
to push out into the traffic.

Colin McKenzie