Old October 18th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.local.london,uk.transport.london
Simon Hewison Simon Hewison is offline

Default False name & address on Oyster - any problems?

Jon D wrote:
I don't much like the idea of the Oystercard people being able to
look up each and every journey I ever make by tube.

I've nothing to hide and I don't seek complete anonymity. But I do
think this is too much of an invasion of my privacy.

Can someone here help me with my questions:

---

(1) Is it possible to buy an Oystercard with a false name/address
and have no problems when I use it on account of the false details?

Why bother give them a name and address? If it's pre-pay, you don't need to.

(2) Presumably refunds get credited direct to the Oystercard (if I
phone customer services) so there is no need for my postal address.

I've had refunds credited to the oyster card (or actually, an unresolved
journey cancelled)

(3) Is there anything of importance which Oyster would ever need to
send to my postal address?

Pass. I haven't given them my address, so I wouldn't know.

However, if you are worried about being tracked, and if you ever charge
your oyster card with a credit/debit card, there's a transaction there
with your name and credit card number on it. In the event of fraud, they
_will_ track you down.

--
Simon Hewison