Old October 22nd 05, 06:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Can I buy an Oyster reader?

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:20:11 +0100, Dave Arquati
wrote:

I was having a discussion along these lines with a friend yesterday, who
said that he was on a bus recently where someone got on and tried to pay
for a cash fare - with a £50 note. Unsurprisingly the driver wouldn't
accept it. Apparently the whole bus had to wait for a few minutes whilst
they wrangled about it (and I think the driver just gave up after a while).

The whole subject of Legal Tender, the difference between settling an
existing debt and offering to enter into a new transaction, the
obligation to give change etc. is a fascinating one.

I trust we will now hear the results of research, not off-the-cuff
opinions. But I doubt it :-)