Old October 23rd 05, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Can I buy an Oyster reader?

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 20:27:15 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

David Howdon" "davidhowdon[nospam] wrote:
Barry Salter wrote:
On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 00:56:14 +0100, Laurence Payne
wrote:

I'd further suggest that she was given the option of paying the £20
Penalty Fare, declined to do so, failed to pay within 21 days, and
*that* is why TfL are taking her to Court.

Must admit that if I thought I had paid[1] I'd refuse to pay the
penalty fare as well. I suspect TfL rely to some extent on the
fact that a lot of people would pay up rather than fight it.

[1] and unlike on the tube where the gates stay shut if you have
pressed the card properly on the buses you cannot tell easily (I
think there might be a coloured light on the reader)

There is indeed a coloured light that you could hardly miss if you were
interested in it, but TfL have never AFAIK told passengers to check that
it changes to green when they touch their Oyster cards on the reader.
In the absence of such advice, it's not surprising that people ignore
this unlabelled light and don't understand its significance.

And if you are colour blind it is utterly useless. I have to rely on the
bleep because I cannot use the light. On the trial smartcard readers for
the route 212 trial and then Harrow the lights were far larger and
distinct which meant a colour blind person could know which light had
illuminated as much from its relative position on the reader as from the
colour. You also got a clearer display about value deducted or card
acceptance than the appalling unilluminated displays on the current
ETMs. TfL - please go back to the drawing board.
--
Paul C