Old October 23rd 05, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Alan J. Flavell Alan J. Flavell is offline

Default Can I buy an Oyster reader?

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005, Clive wrote, as seen in uk.railway, quoting me:

a compulsory ticket area

What would this be then?

If I had wanted to know the answer to that, I think I'd have tried a
search engine. So I couldn't help worrying that you were posting the
question as some kind of rhetorical device.

Of course, it's one of the areas referred to in Byelaw 17.

Shall we do the TfL version of them today? Oh yes, we're crossposted
to u.t.l, so that's just the ticket (oops, no pun intended, but now
it's there I'm not taking it out).

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/company/bylaws.asp

But they're all based on the same model byelaws (or "bylaws" as it
seems the TfL webmaster calls them...).

I've never seen signs to say, "You must be in
possession of a ticket to pass this spot.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...030143-06.hcsp

is listed under "Consultation papers", but it says it came into force
in 1994. They've been around for a while already.

More interesting, though, I thought, was this hit from abroad:

http://www.metrolisboa.pt/normas_uk.htm

It looks as if *their* penalty fare is equivalent currently to EUR120,
and (just to rub it in) you still have to pay the 0.70 single fare on
top of that. Furthermore, it seems there are situations where you
could be prosecuted /and/ have to pay the penalty fare, whereas our
scheme says (AIUI) that if you are prosecuted (whatever the outcome)
then you don't have to pay the penalty fare.

ttfn