Old October 25th 05, 07:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
David Biddulph David Biddulph is offline

Default Can I buy an Oyster reader?

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Dave Arquati
writes
Surely since they advertise that Oyster Prepay is an accepted form of
payment, and given that you have enough credit to pay, it's totally their
problem...?

I'd agree entirely with that. It's not yet occurred to me that I might
be expected to pay cash if climbing on a bus which turns out to have a
broken Oyster reader.

I was having a discussion along these lines with a friend yesterday, who
said that he was on a bus recently where someone got on and tried to pay
for a cash fare - with a £50 note. Unsurprisingly the driver wouldn't
accept it. Apparently the whole bus had to wait for a few minutes whilst
they wrangled about it (and I think the driver just gave up after a
while).

Do TfL advertise appropriate means to pay? (e.g. not £50?)

The latest Fares guide is as far as I'm aware, the first to mention limits
on what is tendered but I think it concerns itself with coins, quoting the
Coinage Act 1971 or something similar.

Yes, page 40 of
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...fares-2005.pdf
--