Old October 25th 05, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Harry Spencer Harry Spencer is offline

Default Can I buy an Oyster reader?

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...

This was in the 'Standard' on Monday. It said: "neither the machine
nor the driver warned her the payment had apparently failed." Reading
between the lines, that suggested she _didn't_ get a green light, but
she still boarded, without querying it with the driver.

Surely if something is not right, it is the driver's responsibility to
inform the passenger? Where in anything available to public when one
purchases a ticket on Oyster does it actually tell them what the different
noises when passing the card over a reader on a bus actually mean?

I know they bleep once for 'ok' and twice for comms failure/passback etc.,
but why on earth is the error noise not completely different? It's
illogical for the machine to make a noise when there is an error - silence
would be better, as the user would realise the machine has not bleeped at
them. In a world of bleeps, who can blame the passenger..

The ability to alter the noises exists - heard the bleep from users of child
passes - very different!

Saying, "the machine didn't warn me," is lame.

I disagree. Nonetheless, if it were me, I'd not have made reference to the
machine, and simply blamed the operator of said machine: the driver.