Old October 26th 05, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Red lights in Cricklewood, Harrow and elsewhere

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote in
:

"Richard J." typed
Anyway, if you wheel your bicycle past the stop line on the pavement,
surely you count as a pedestrian then?

Not AIUI. If you CROSS the road, you are a pedestrian, if you move
with the traffic flow, either on the footway or the carriageway, you
should not pass the stop line.

Even though the stop line only extends across the road and not the pavement
alongside it?

So if you're wheeling a bike along the pavement and you come to a red
traffic light (eg pedestrian lights) you must stop there while all the
pedestrians who are on the same pavement can keep going?

Strange that this should be prohibited when AIUI cyclists can't be
prosecuted (or have their car licence endorsed) if they exceed a speed limit
on the road - they can only be prosecuted for "riding furiously" or some
such woolly phrase.

I sometimes wonder how some of our laws passed the "does this make sense"
and "why do we want to prohibit/permit this" tests!