Old October 26th 05, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Can I buy an Oyster reader?

Barry Salter wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:49:19 GMT, "turbo"
wrote:

OK it may be a dumb question, but I don't have an Oyster, but have
seen them in operation a lot. Ok I put a £10 credit or whatever on
this chipped card and start using it- it doesn't have a display on
it, neither does the reader, how do I know the remaining credit...
It just seems odd that I could have a valid oyster on the first
part of my journey, which has 'expired' by the time I get on the
bus to make the last part of a journey...

It depends on what mode of transport you're using (and in the case
of the tube, what type of ticket gate).

You can check your balance on the ticket machine at a newsagents,
or on the touchscreen machines at Underground stations.

When you touch your card on the reader on a bus or one of the
standalone validators at a tram stop, National Rail station, tube
station or DLR station, the display on the machine (assuming it's
not knackered) will tell you how much has been deducted and your
remaining balance.

Where's the display on the bus readers? I've never noticed one.
--
Richard J.