Old October 26th 05, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default Red lights in Cricklewood, Harrow and elsewhere

Tom Anderson wrote in
:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Richard J. wrote:

I was recently told, by a friend who ought to know, that both pushed
bicycles and shopping trolleys, and prams, and anything similar, are
strictly not legal on the footway. BHCBW.

What planet are these law-makers on? Where are you supposed to push your
shopping trolleys and prams? In the road with the traffic passing at 20, 30,
60 mph? My opinion of the legal system in this country has taken yet another
nose-dive.

I presume electric buggies used by elderly people should also be on the road
rather than the pavement, which is ludicrous considering that they can only
go about 5 mph - the other day I saw a queue of traffic about 30 cars long
behind an electric buggy which was in the *middle* of its side of the road
(not even as far left as possible, close to the kerb) which made overtaking
impossible given that there was oncoming traffic such as myself.

I may be accused of heresy, but I'd impose a minimum speed limit of (say) 10
mph on all roads to make sure that prams, cyclists who are walking with
their bikes, electric buggies etc are kept on the pavement where the
differential speed between them and pedestrians is less than between them
and cars in the road.