Old October 27th 05, 10:53 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Red lights in Cricklewood, Harrow and elsewhere

Nick Finnigan wrote:
Ian wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message

Martin Underwood wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote in
:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Richard J. wrote:

I was recently told, by a friend who ought to know, that both
pushed bicycles and shopping trolleys, and prams, and anything
similar, are strictly not legal on the footway. BHCBW.

What planet are these law-makers on?

Tom's a law maker??

Tom: your friend "who ought to know" -- get him to quote chapter
and verse in the law that says that it's illegal to push a pram
on the footway. If he can't, then his statement is not credible.
--

I think it is in Section 72 of the Highways Act of 1835. That is
the law that makes it illegal to cycle on the pavement and I think

http://www.lesberries.co.uk/cycling/misc/misc.html

has an appropriate discussion.

It does indeed, and concludes that a person pushing a bike, on a
pedestrian crossing anyway, is a pedestrian. "a person who is walking
across a pedestrian crossing pushing a bicycle, having started on the
pavement on one side on her feet and not on the bicycle, and going
across pushing the bicycle with both feet on the ground so to speak is
clearly a 'foot passenger'."
--
Richard J.