Old October 29th 05, 09:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Tony Polson Tony   Polson is offline

Default The Thameslink Planning Enquiry

"D7666" wrote:

And possible motorway link - there is a proposal somewhere about a new
direct A1 / M1 link as well as a different idea from M1 north of Luton
in a loop around the east of the town also to the airport.

There has long been a proposal for a Felixstowe-Southampton Trunk Road
which would form part of an outer ring around London - in other words,
further out than the M25. It would broadly follow the existing A505
corridor.

I believe the route followed the supposedly abandoned "Ringway 3"
scheme of the 1970s - where "Ringway 2" was the only one of three
proposed London ring roads that actually got built - as the M25.

In the mid 1990s I advised some local residents on several aspects of
the (then-)proposed Aylesbury by-pass. The Department of Transport
(Highways Agency) drawings showing the various possible routes around
Aylesbury were all clearly titled "Felixstowe to Southampton Trunk
Road".

Although no such long distance road scheme had ever been announced to
the public, it was clearly part of Department of Transport planning.