Old October 29th 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Neil Sunderland Neil Sunderland is offline

Default The Thameslink Planning Enquiry

Tony Polson wrote:
There has long been a proposal for a Felixstowe-Southampton Trunk Road
which would form part of an outer ring around London - in other words,
further out than the M25. It would broadly follow the existing A505
corridor.

[...]
Although no such long distance road scheme had ever been announced to
the public, it was clearly part of Department of Transport planning.

Trunk Roads aren't "schemes" as such, just lengths of existing roads
that were taken over by the (then) Ministry of Roads and (the ones
that haven't been detrunked, anyway) now maintained by the HA.

They were originally defined by the Trunk Roads Acts of 1936 and 1946.
For example, Trunk Road 1 is London-Thurso and Trunk Road 8 is
London-Penzance (from the 1936 Act) and the now defunct Trunk Road 41
is Taunton-Barnstaple-Fraddon (in the 1946 Act).

Without access to a copy of the Acts I can't be certain, but I'd guess
the Felixstowe-Southampton Trunk Road was created by the 1946 Act.

I did find a complete list recently (and accidentally!), but I can't
find it now: the closest I've come is on a posting on the SABRE forum
he http://tinyurl.com/bhvqs. It's not complete (or particularly
accurate, for that matter); and the numbering isn't really "secret",
it's just the order they appear in each Act!

Neil Sunderland
--
Braunton, Devon
Please observe the Reply-To address.

NP: Spin Doctors - Dogs On A Doe (from the album 'You've Got To Believe In Something')