Old October 30th 05, 02:12 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.london
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Red lights in Criclewood, Harrow and elsewhere

"John Wright" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 09:00:36 +0100, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my
surname here.uk.com wrote:

"JamesB" wrote in message
. ..
If I can see to the other side of those temp ones (often they are for
all
of about 10 metres) I'll go through them anyway (if its clear) same as
overtaking a parked bus really!

Except that it is legal safely to overtake a parked bus, but, contrary to
popular belief, you are breaking the law by going through the red at
temporary traffic lights.

Is there actually a law which covers that? Normally traffic lights are
subject to approval by local authorities. These things tend to be set
up on different authority for different purposes.

Local Authority approval has to do with whether the lights can be set up,
not what they mean when they are. That is covered by The Traffic Signs
Regulations and General Directions 2002, which does not differentiate
between the meanings given to temporary and to permanent lights.

Colin Bignell