Old October 30th 05, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

Default Will an oyster card work for me?

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message
In article ,
(Roland Perry) wrote:

In message . com, at
05:07:18 on Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Miss Uk Railway
remarked:
This week, I'm travelling from Rugby to Euston and back with Virgin
every day. I will then need to make a daily return trip from Euston
underground to Westminster underground.

Would it be cheaper to buy 5 x daily zone 1 return tickets or an
Oyster card? I've no idea how Oyster works - can I buy it at Euston
tomorrow morning and do I simply put money onto it, i.e. pre-pay?

Yes. Allow the normal queuing time plus ten minutes. Will cost you £3
deposit plus whatever amount of credit you choose to add.

Does this method work out cheaper than buying ordinary
single/returns?

Ten singles on paper tickets is £20, on Oyster £17, so you'll break
even in a week. Next time you are in London you'll be saving the 30p
each ticket, and soon saving £1.50 when paper singles go up to £3,
and Oyster falls to £1.50 .

You and "TKD" are wrong of course, for not thinking of combined National
rail and tube tickets. These will always be cheaper.

For a daily return trip from Euston underground to Westminster underground
as the OP asked? No, I don't think so.