Old November 1st 05, 06:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default How bendy is a bendy bus?

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 11:28:01 -0000, "David B"
wrote:

"Dave Arquati" wrote in message
Is it bendy enough to make the left turn from New Oxford Street into
Charing Cross Road, and the turns between Charing Cross Road and
Shaftesbury Avenue? Oh, and the left turn into Piccadilly too?

I ask as the 38 converts to bendy operation soon, and I'll be interested
to see how easily (or not) they can make those movements...

A bit off topic but would a standard length double decker bus with 3 sets of
doors and 2 staircases be a good idea? Better than a bendibus? I was
following one in my coach and noticed they are sooooo slow around 90 degree
corners. Coventional vehicles are much faster and dont take the whole road.

Ah you seem to be referring to a Berlin design of double decker. I have
not used the brand new Neomans yet but I did not notice that the Berlin
deckers were that much faster with two staircases and three doors. It is
interesting to note that Berlin has restricted the old open boarding
concept although many people still board via the front and centre doors.

The new Neoman DD buses may be worse than a bendy bus simply because
their overall length is longer that the front section of a bendy. If you
think a 38 struggles on some turns then I can't see a 12 or 13.73m
double deck doing much better.

http://www.man-mn.de/en/Coaches/News...d=46804&print=

The speed of movement of bendy buses is highly dependent on the skill of
the driver. When a route is newly converted you will see a lot of
hesitation as familiarity with the vehicles is low. However I have been
in some well driven bendy buses on the 73 and they can be fairly hustled
along and around the route with no discomfort and full safety. There are
some very tight turns on the 73 and to experience an 18m bus piloted
skillfully is impressive.
--
Paul C