Old November 1st 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Terry Harper Terry Harper is offline

Default How bendy is a bendy bus?

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 19:29:29 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 11:28:01 -0000, "David B"
wrote:

A bit off topic but would a standard length double decker bus with 3 sets of
doors and 2 staircases be a good idea? Better than a bendibus? I was
following one in my coach and noticed they are sooooo slow around 90 degree
corners. Coventional vehicles are much faster and dont take the whole road.

Ah you seem to be referring to a Berlin design of double decker. I have
not used the brand new Neomans yet but I did not notice that the Berlin
deckers were that much faster with two staircases and three doors. It is
interesting to note that Berlin has restricted the old open boarding
concept although many people still board via the front and centre doors.

Back way back when, Bournemouth Corporation ran 6-wheel trolleybuses
with two staircases, and the front exit door operated by the driver
with a lever mechanism. It's almost 60 years since I last rode on one,
but they seemed to speed up time at stops.

The rear platform was open, of course.
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society