Old November 2nd 05, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] unopened@mail.com is offline

Default About West London Tram

Marratxi wrote:
"David Bradley" wrote in message

MAJOR SNIP

Open your eyes and see the possabilities that trolleybuses provide at a
fraction of the cost of a tramway scheme. In europe they have, and are
reaping the benefits NOW. With no new tramway construction underway in

the
UK, and unlikely to be for may years to come, if at all, there is only one
thing to look forward to, just more pollution with everyone getting

nowhere
fast.
David Bradley

The system in use in Nancy is a combination of tram and trolleybus. They
look like trams, with two or three articulated units, but are guided by a
slot in the road (could be a painted-on stripe ?) and can, if necessary, be
steered by the driver. They have two trolley poles, run on pneumatic tyres
and are capable of climbing steep inclines.
In my view the best possible combination of features.
Cheerz,
Baz

Not everyone agrees that it is "the best possible combination of
features". I don't have any particular opinion on the matter, but
these people seem pretty anti:

http://www.lightrailnow.org/features/f_ncy001.htm

Regards,

Sid