Old November 2nd 05, 02:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Commuter Travel

Roland Perry wrote:
In message .com, at
04:44:27 on Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Mizter T remarked:
I used to listen to the R4 "today" programme for the hour I drove to
work, and "PM"/"6-O-Clock News" on the way home.

My travel patterns vary but I've listened to both Today and PM whilst
commuting (I hate that word!) without the need for a car... there's
this great invention called a personal radio! Sony make some really
tiny (cigarette-lighter sized) FM personal radios. Obviously no good
for any subterranean travel though.

It's much more effort to listen to the radio whilst buffeted around on a
commuter train, and getting to and from the station, compared to sitting
in a comfortable car.

Er, perhaps, but I've never really found it a hassle, unless I'm so
crammed in I can't reach in my pocket to change the volume or
frequency, which happens more often on a bus than a train (but I'm
quite tall ). So I get it all set up right before embarking my public
transport vehicle of choice. I'd recommend it to those who only ever
stick their headphone jack into Apple's white miniature hard-disk
drive.

I do drive, but avoid doing so in the rush hour if at all possible. No
matter how comfortable the car, I find being in a traffic jam an
uncomfortable situation, and start dreaming about merrily peddling down
some parralel side-street on my bike going , or being on that bus
that's cruising down the big red expanse of the bus lane.

But I do totally understand that for some, being stuck in a traffic jam
for 15 minutes is only a part of a longer journey that is most quickly
completed by car.

I find John Humphries a bit of an assault on my senses in the morning,
as I'm rarely fully conscious then, but I rate Eddie Mair's wry style
and the varied content of PM very highly. Alas 5pm is a bit early,
though I sometimes catch it whilst still working.

Yes, I only listened to PM from about 5.45pm most days.

Workload dependent, I can sometimes sneak it on the radio in the office
where I am now whilst doing some more mundane tasks at the end of the
day, though that'd be a hanging offence in some other places I've
worked.