Old November 2nd 05, 03:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
R.C. Payne R.C. Payne is offline

Default About West London Tram

Colin McKenzie wrote:
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

In article ,
Colin McKenzie writes

But I'm not sure there's any actual UK evidence that trams attract
more people out of cars than trolleybuses - how would you obtain it?

Again, IIRC, when Tramlink opened the shopping centre in Croydon saw
something like a 30% increase in visitors with a *decrease* in parking.

Yes, granted - but we don't know what would have happened with a
trolleybus scheme - it might have been even better. Unfortunately for
science, I can't see a tram and trolleybus route being introduced
simultaneously in comparable locations to allow the direct comparison.

You could always promote trolleybuses as trackless trams.

Indeed, memory suggests that in parts of the US (Philadelphia spring to
mind) they are sometimes called "trackless trolleys" where "trolley" is
a common synonym for "streetcar" or "tram" (for those of us brought up
that side of the atlantic in the last 40 years, we all remember Mr.
Rogers' Trolley).

Robin