Old September 5th 03, 05:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default thankfully no motorways in Islington!

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:29:15 +0100, "I@n" wrote:

Hmmm. I've read somewhere that speed bumps create more pollution because

of
the slow-down/speed-up/slow-down/speed-up driving pattern that results,

but
never that they cause any deaths.

There are a few in Milton Keynes (some on my estate, some in the
centre) where the speed bump is also a pedestrian crossing of a
footpath/cycleway, but is completely unmarked (other than the usual
speedbump markings). This often leads to pedestrians thinking a car
is going to stop and it does not - while, of course, the car driver
should be watching out and anticipating this, I can see how it could
lead to an accident if both parties were not paying full attention to
the situation.

Hmmm....given that the govt.'s own research suggests that speed is only the
primary factor in 6% of all road traffic accidents (some 80% being 'not
paying full attention') one wonders about the rationale for speed bumps and
the near hysterical anti-car campaigns at all.

Adrian