Old September 5th 03, 08:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Matthew Malthouse Matthew Malthouse is offline

Default thankfully no motorways in Islington!

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 06:31:57 +0100 Adrian wrote:
}
} "Neil Williams" wrote in message
} ...
} On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:29:15 +0100, "I@n" wrote:
}
} Hmmm. I've read somewhere that speed bumps create more pollution because
} of
} the slow-down/speed-up/slow-down/speed-up driving pattern that results,
} but
} never that they cause any deaths.
}
} There are a few in Milton Keynes (some on my estate, some in the
} centre) where the speed bump is also a pedestrian crossing of a
} footpath/cycleway, but is completely unmarked (other than the usual
} speedbump markings). This often leads to pedestrians thinking a car
} is going to stop and it does not - while, of course, the car driver
} should be watching out and anticipating this, I can see how it could
} lead to an accident if both parties were not paying full attention to
} the situation.
}
} Hmmm....given that the govt.'s own research suggests that speed is only the
} primary factor in 6% of all road traffic accidents (some 80% being 'not
} paying full attention') one wonders about the rationale for speed bumps and
} the near hysterical anti-car campaigns at all.

It's soemthing to take their mind off the driving.

Matthew
--
Záhid sharáb píné dé, masjid mein baith kar
ya woh jagah batá dé jahán Khudá na ho.