Old November 5th 05, 04:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Commuter Travel

In article ,
(Roland Perry) wrote:

In message ,
at 00:05:00 on Sat, 5 Nov 2005, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
If I'd taken the train, the journey would have been more like
1.5hrs, and it's much more effort to listen to the radio whilst
buffeted around on a commuter train, and getting to and from the
station, compared to sitting in a comfortable car.

I find the time on the train used most productively reading
newsgroups like this (though I have to admit I didn't read this
thread until after I got home tonight). A good reason for a laptop
and offline reader.

Yes, and I've done that regularly over the last six years. Something
you definitely can't do in a car!

On the other hand, you can't do it standing up on a train, either -
and I found it rather uncomfortable when sitting on the floor. Sadly,
during the latter period of my Royston/KX trips I found it
increasingly common not to get a seat. Perhaps twice a week. And
needing to shove oneself into a seat (literally) made it even more
stressful when boarding the train.

You were obviously less lucky than me, or poorer in your choice of
times. From Royston to London that is understandable because trains
don't start there but from King's Cross I find it's mainly a matter of
not arriving too close to the train's departure time.

--
Colin Rosenstiel