Old November 5th 05, 07:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Commuter Travel

In message , at
17:30:00 on Sat, 5 Nov 2005, Colin Rosenstiel
remarked:
On the other hand, you can't do it standing up on a train, either -
and I found it rather uncomfortable when sitting on the floor. Sadly,
during the latter period of my Royston/KX trips I found it
increasingly common not to get a seat. Perhaps twice a week. And
needing to shove oneself into a seat (literally) made it even more
stressful when boarding the train.

You were obviously less lucky than me, or poorer in your choice of
times. From Royston to London that is understandable because trains
don't start there

I usually tried to get the train which started out as 4 empty coaches at
Royston, with 4 from Cambridge connecting to the rear. But as you say,
if it was an 8 coach train from Cambridge then they were often full and
standing already.

but from King's Cross I find it's mainly a matter of not arriving too
close to the train's departure time.

Didn't help much. The two trains I usually ended up catching only ever
arrived at the platform a few minutes before departure time. And they
had people trying to get off, as everyone was already pushing to get on.
By the time the train arrived there would be a four or five deep scrum
by every doorway position, although guessing very accurately where the
door was going to be, and arriving early enough, did help.