Old September 5th 03, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fat Richard Fat Richard is offline

Default Central London Bus Ticket Machines: drivers ability to know if they are in order ?

Sorry if this has been mentioned befo
I travel once or twice a week on buses between various parts of London
and when I have forgotten to buy the Savers I pay cash. Yesterday
(Thursday 14.00) I travelled from Leicester Square to Victoria on a
"29". The ticket machine at the stop was not working, it merely
suggested that I "please wait". i was with a friend who also needed a
ticket.

I guessed that the drivers still issue tickets in these circumstances
and
indeed we were issued with appropriate fares.

However, this was not without a rant on the drivers behalf. He pointed
at the machine and told us it was working and that he could tell,
couldn't we ? He was not polite in his explanation and accused us of
being "ignorant and unale to use the machine properly". My skin is
thick and I ignored his customer care advisce. My only suggestion, as
indeed was my freinds, was that the he step off the bus. Indeed at
this point a woman was also having trouble with the machine.

So my questions to those in the know a

Is there a device that transmits a message to the Bus when it is
alongside the machine or is there supposed to be a visible light or
some such indicator on the actual machine if it is out of order ?

Will bus drivers continue to take money in the future ?

Are the machines reliable enough yet ? Before the "compulsory"
purchase started recently, I have lost £3 so far and been unable to
use machines at both Kings Cross and Victoria at various times.

Thanks in advance,

Richard Howe.