Old November 13th 05, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jeremy Parker Jeremy Parker is offline

Default London's lost bike network

London is about halfway through building the "London Cycle Network".
Actually to some extent that's rebuilding. Many miles of cycle track
were built alongside the new bypasses in the 1930s, but much of those
routes vanished in the 1960s, mostly unnoticed, and unmourned. You
don't see people mourning lost bike tracks in the way they mourn
canals, or steam trains, or the routemaster bus. Cycle tracks
weren't that popular at the time, actually, except among motorists
who hoped that cyclists could be forced, officially or unofficially,
to get off the roads onto them

Not all the tracks vanished. Some of them are still around.

Here's a first attempt at starting an inventory of what we still
have, and what we have lost. For those tracks that used to exist,
and now have vanished, any information on when, how, and why they
went would be useful.

Some people have posted on this before, but I've lost my notes.
Apologies for repeating myself

Please say what's wrong or missing from the list below. I know that
the A24 isn't strictly London, but perhaps there are other suburban
routes that should also be remembered.

Remaining
---------

A30, Great South West Road - not real cycle tracks, only pavements?
A4, Great West Road, N Circular - M25
A 4020, Uxbridge Road, Grand Union Canal - Hayes End Road
A40 - Western Avenue - not real cycle tracks, only pavements? Only
one side.
A41 Edgware Way to Watford, not real cycle tracks?
A1 Barnet Way, not real cycle tracks?
A10 Great Cambridge Rd, s. of N. Circular to M25 (only one side
remaining. Not all proper cycle tracks?)
A24 past Box Hill

Lost
----

A406 North Circular Rd - which parts?
A41 Hendon Way
A12 Eastern Avenue
A127 Southend Road
A13/1306

Never had any

A3 Kingston bypass
A20 Rochester way
A23 Purley Way

Are there other facilities that should be recalled? For example
there are the remains of London's earliest bike race track in the
grounds of the Welsh Harp Reservoir

Jeremy Parker