Old November 20th 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default SWT Trains through East Putney today

In article , (4sub)
wrote:

"Michael R N Dolbear" wrote in message

Fraser Robertson wrote
"Tom Robinson" wrote

Saw a SWT train going through East Putney today while I was
waiting for the district line up to Edgware Road. Came up the
ramp from the Waterloo-Richmond line and went off down towards
Wimbledon. I know they can do this sometimes but it's not
something you see very often, anyone know why this was? Was it
related to yesterday's cable fire at Clapham Junc.?

It happens when they engineering work somewhere, as I use to travel
from Teddington and end up on that loop sometimes. Not bad really to
have shame they don't utilise it a bit more

Not just engineering work. When I commuted to/from Waterloo on
trains that went though Wimbledon this alternative route was taken
maybe twice a year. Whether the reason was congestion on the usual
down line or just for fun I don't know but it was quite amusing to
see how many passemgers were (a) awake enough to notice and (b)
hadn't done it before and so wondered if they were on the wrong train.

When I was based at Dorking North in the early 80's the first one up
on sunday normally went via East Putney.

Because taking out the bridge over the Windsor Lines has created a
conflicting move at Point Pleasant Junction almost all the recent
movements I've seen at East Putney seem to have been in the down
direction.

--
Colin Rosenstiel