Old November 24th 05, 03:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
T.S. Cordiner T.S. Cordiner is offline

Default No staff on gatelines (again)

Mark Brader wrote:
"T.S. Cordiner" writes:

So my question is, is the MTA putting its passengers in danger, or are
the gates of the NYC system very different from London's...?

Sure. New York is a flat-fare system with the fare charged on entry, so
the exit gates don't need to be capable of stopping people from leaving.

So all those staff are there just to let people out when (as I
acknowledge it frequently does) one's ticket stops working? I would have
thought it more efficient to have fare charged on entry, let people out
the other end and save rather a lot of money on staff. Is this just a
small part of gate line duties? I can think of providing information and
assistance, but that doesn't fall into the "health and safety" argument.
What's the heatlh and safety argument for gate-line staff that means
London needs them and NYC doesn't?

Thanks,

Tom