Old November 27th 05, 12:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Helen Deborah Vecht Helen Deborah Vecht is offline

Default Haemodynamic semantic pedantics was 'One under'

Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III typed

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Medically, 'shock' is usually an intensive care type problem; fainting
or hyperventilating after seeing some dreadful event is not.

Thank you for the explanation. I've always been under the (wrong) impression
that "having a shock" (at a large gas bill, e.g.) was a synonym for being
"in shock". I thought that all this business about people being "taken
to hospital for shock" was some sort of medical euphemism for "taking them
to a sanatorium for some sort of emotional upset"

This indeed occurs; it is often safest to transfer those involved though
apparently uninjured to hospital for thorough checking,[1] often
followed by cups of tea.

Those who witness dreadful events sometimes benefit from counselling and
debriefing which may be provided.

I had no idea that "shock" was a specific medical condition.

Usenet has some uses...

[1] It's obviously easier to check someone from head to toe in a warm,
well-lit Emergency department than on a cold, dark, windy, noisy street.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.