Old November 27th 05, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
Martin Underwood Martin Underwood is offline

Default NIP: Tower Bridge question

Paul Terry wrote in
ine:

In message , James
writes

Since the Tower Bridge limit has apparently been there for half a century,
I think it unlikely:

I too thought that until recently (maybe about five years ago) the lowest
*enforceable* speed limit was 30, which was why councils splattered roads
with speed humps and chicanes to try to impose a physical as opposed to
legal restriction.

But I know that 20 limits are now enforceable. The main road from
Beaconsfield to Slough is mainly 30 but has 20 limits for about 50 yards
either side of every traffic light junction over a half-mile stretch - I
think there are four of them. It's tedious driving along a road which is
wide and straight, and has service roads either side so through traffic and
stopping traffic is kept separate, so even 30 is a bit slow and 20 is
painfully slow. I cannot help thinking that traffic which has priority is
being penalised for the sins of pedestrians and othe drivers who fail to
observe the traffic lights - but this seems to be morally acceptible in this
Brave New World.

I'd like to see much more use of repeater signs where slow speed limits
apply: on every single lamp-post and painted on the road - and maybe even as
flashing number-in-a-red-circle signs which light up if you're over the
limit. Hopefully if you're observant you'll see the first sign at the start
of the restriction, but I find I need it drummed into my head constantly to
avoid me speeding up subconsciously to a speed that feels appropriate.