Old November 30th 05, 06:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John John is offline

Default "Tube cheapest in Europe"

In article , Richard J.
writes
nDave Newt typed:
Just received the latest TfL magazine (renamed from "Tube" to "London
Loop", which contains the following item on page 35:

ONE-WAY TREAT

London Loop has found that, in real terms, the Tube will soon rank
among the cheapest underground systems in Europe.

We compared cities by taking into account the price of a new Oyster
single far and the potential number of stations on any one journey.
Berlin and London proved the cheapest:

LONDON
Stations: 275
Single Oyster fare (Zones 1-6): £3.50
Price per 10 stations: 13p

BERLIN
Stations: 170
Single fa £1.80
Price per 10 stations: 11p

PARIS METRO
Stations: 297 (not counting RER stations and bus stops where the tickets
are also valid)
Single cash fa £0.97 (1.40 euros)
Price per 10 stations: 3.3p

So, not only is this a ludicrous way of measuring transport cheapness,
but London is nearly 4 times more expensive than Paris on this measure!

But we have to pay for the American factor - presumably once we have
paid for the golden handshake the price will come down???

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail